Our competitors are overwhelmingly, though not exclusively, children and young people. The advantages they gain are enormous:
- an opportunity for an amateur to perform in front of a professional, and to learn and improve from that process;
- an opportunity to pace themselves against others of similar abilities;
- an opportunity to increase their repertoire by watching their peers;
- an opportunity, especially for younger children, to grow in confidence by performing on a public platform.
- an opportunity to use amateur performance as a springboard into the professional arts, whether as an artist or a teacher;
The majority of performers, of course, will not go on to a professional career; however they will become the educated audiences of the future, supporting our opera houses, theatres and concert halls throughout the country.